Mar 21, 2013

Medieval Siena

San Gimignano
This was my first impression, Siena, or maybe the whole Tuscany, was medieval... I say 'maybe' the whole Tuscany, as I have been only to Siena, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni and Colle Val d'Elsa. My trip to Siena was in the beginning of November, and I was lucky with the weather, it was still warm and sunny... so I had the possibility to see the golden autumn there... and it was amazing, the colors were really vivid and juicy, red, yellow, green and purple...  Another thing I like is that it is surrounded by nature with lots of panoramic views, everywhere you can see fields and hills (I guess it is perfect for hiking or cycling) and at the same time, almost every hill has castle, or fortress-town, or just a house/villa... I visited only three such hill towns: San Gimignano, Monteriggioni and Colle Val d'Elsa. The first two are more famous, but if you are already there, you shouldn't miss Colle Val d'Elsa, it is, without doubt, worth visiting, as it is less crowded, but absolutely not less picturesque ...
Anyway, visiting all three of them, I felt like I traveled back in time to the Middle Ages, it seemed like everything there remained the same like it was centuries ago, unbelievable, what a great sensation, you could easily imagine how the life of people was here before... as everything seems untouched by modernity, and everything is made of stones, the buildings, the roads, the squares, there are the castles and the fortresses... I knew that a lot of world celebrities and oligarchs bought different kind of property in Tuscany (though mostly castles), and now I understood why, as it really has its own charm...

Monteriggioni
Speaking of Siena, the most important, I would even say must-see, sights were the Siena Cathedral (Duomo - it is very beautiful outside, but the real treasure is inside (including Piccolominea Library), it will take your breath away) and Piazza del Campo, which is also famous for hosting horse race, with Mangia Tower (Torre del Mangia) and Palazzo Pubblico (here don't forget to visit not only upper floors, but also the underground one, where different modern exhibitions take place). Also you shouldn't miss Museo dell'Opera Metropolitana (and climb the very narrow spiral stairs to the top of it to enjoy the magnificent panorama of Siena) and Pinacoteca Nazionale (which is all about early Sienese Art). 
Libreria Piccolominea

As usual in Italy, eating out and shopping was great in Siena, I also fancied walking along the streets of Siena and other hill towns, savoring fried chestnuts, and admiring the buildings, the parks and squares, castles and panoramic views, hearing tourists speaking different languages, all this creates really peaceful and adorable atmosphere. 
The Siena Cathedral




Monteriggioni


Colle Val d'Elsa














2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kristarina, for taking the time to write this trip report. Our visit to Siena isn't until next year, but you've given me several good ideas, and put Colle Val d'Elsa on my radar. We're starting our trip in Paris, so I'm headed to your post about it now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Robin, thank you for your comment, as for Siena, I actually have had another visit there recently, and this time I went to Montepulciano (great town, one needs to go up to the top to see the main square, amazing views), Pienza (simply beautiful, famous for Pecorino cheese) and Bagno Vignoni (a very small town, with natural termal water, and when you go to the panoramic spot, you will see down many natural pools with azure termal water, we even had a bath there :) ) Also we spent a day in Rapolano Terme, as Tuscany is famous for natural termal water and we couldn't miss a chance to enjoy it))
      As for Paris, I am very grateful to tripadvisor app - Paris guide, thanks to it my stay in Paris was so full of sightseeing and discoveries, apart from Eiffel Tower and Avenue des Champs-Élysées there is so much to see in Paris...

      Delete